The three-day Virginia statewide sales tax holiday starts Friday, Aug. 5, at 12:01 a.m. and ends Sunday, Aug. 7, at 11:59 p.m.
During the sales tax holiday, the public can buy qualifying school supplies, clothing, footwear, hurricane and emergency preparedness items, and Energy Star and WaterSense products without paying sales tax.
What items are eligible?
• School supplies, clothing, and footwear
• Qualified school supplies — $20 or less per item
• Qualified clothing and footwear — $100 or less per item
• Hurricane and emergency preparedness products
• Portable generators — $1,000 or less per item
• Gas-powered chainsaws — $350 or less per item
• Chainsaw accessories — $60 or less per item
• Other specified hurricane preparedness items — $60 or less per item
• Energy Star and WaterSense products
• Qualifying Energy Star or WaterSense products purchased for noncommercial home or personal use — $2,500 or less per item
Detailed lists of qualifying items and more information for retailers can be found in the Sales Tax Holiday Guidelines at www.townhall.virginia.gov.
If you want more content like this, support local journalism by purchasing the Times Virginian newspaper at a local newsstand or subscribing at www.timesvirginian.com/subscriber_services to receive the print edition and/or e-edition version.