We are about a month into the spring season with flowers and grass turning green, growing and blooming. April 22 is Earth Day and April 30 is Arbor Day. Both days celebrate environmental protection in some form.
The first Earth Day was held on April 22, 1970. The Latin word for tree is arbor. Arbor Day celebrates the preservation and planting of trees. Nebraska was the first state in the U.S. to observe it as a formal holiday in 1872. In 1972, then-President Richard Nixon declared National Arbor Day to be celebrated on the last Friday in April. Celebrate both by planting flowers and trees to save bees, butterflies and birds, providing wildlife habitats, erosion control and beauty to Appomattox.
Speaking of plants, the library will be hosting its second “Plant Swap” starting on Monday, May 10, through Saturday, May 29. What is a plant swap? It is when you bring your extra or unwanted houseplants, seeds, bareroots and cuttings to the library and exchange your offerings for something on our plant rack, located outside the library’s front doors.
There are a few simple rules to follow:
• Plants must be free of diseases and infestations
• No dead plants
• Plants should be easy to transport (put in some sort of container, pots, cups, baggies with a wet paper towel)
• You must leave plants to take plants; no taking plants without a fair or generous exchange.
• Bring your own totes, boxes or crates for the swap to take selected plants home.
The winner of ACLA’s (Appomattox County Library Association) spring raffle was Kelly Johnson. Congratulations Kelly! We would like to thank ACLA and everyone who took a chance. All proceeds will be used toward library programs and special purchases.
The library is looking forward to our 2021 Virtual Summer Reading Program “Tails and Tales.” We will have craft projects-to-go, interactive boards, fun and educational posts on our social media accounts, and more. For the most updated information, don’t forget to visit our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages often.
If you have questions about this article or other library related matters please feel free to call us during normal business hours at 434-352-5340.
The library receives a steady supply of new and used items. We would like to highlight the following titles:
• Outlander Knitting edited by Kate Atherley
• Court of Silver Flames by Sarah J. Maas
• Double Jeopardy by Stuart Woods
• Fast Ice by Clive Cussler
• Death with a Double Edge by Ann Perry
• Gambling Man by David Baldacci
• Ocean Prey by John Sanford
If you want more content like this, support local journalism by purchasing the Times Virginian newspaper at a local newsstand or subscribing at www.timesvirginian.com/subscriber_services to receive the print edition and/or e-edition version.